Why do women get labiaplasty?
- Women get labiaplasty for different reasons. In my experience, the number one reason for a labiaplasty is the desire to reduce pain or discomfort experienced while wearing tight clothing (such as jeans or yoga pants) or playing sports (especially bike riding or horseback riding) or engaging in other physical activities. The second most common reason for labiaplasty is shame or embarrassment about the way their genitals look and the desire to change their appearance. Other times, women want to increase sexual function– a reduction of the labia or clitoral hood can provide greater exposure of the clitoris, allowing for increased stimulation. Occasionally, a woman's labia are damaged during childbirth, and the procedure is restorative.
How much does labiaplasty cost?
- Labiaplasty surgery typically ranges anywhere between Php50,000 to 60,000. Most cosmetic surgeons should be able to provide an exact estimate if you send photos. Also, the price depends on if you are getting a labia majora reduction, labia minora reduction or both a labia majora&minora reduction.
Do I need Anesthesia for this?
- It can be done under complete anesthesia complete anesthesia or light anesthesia. In my experience, complete anesthesia is more common--I'm not sure why other than (male) doctors probably feel more comfortable performing an operation in such a personal area when patients aren't concious. I personally perform the procedure under light anesthsia, because patients recover immediately after surgery, many patients prefer to be awake, and it eliminates the risk involved when complete anesthesia is used.
Is it painful?
- Most patients will requires pain medications after surgery. I provide NSAID for 2-3 days after surgery.
When can go back to work?
- I have patients ice the area and rest for 3 days to help with swelling. After that they may return back to a sedentary job.
When can I swim or exercise after labioplasty?
-Usually by 3 weeks the area us the area is healed well enough where you can safely resume all activities including swimming/biking/dancing/intercourse.
Will labiaplasty reduce sexual sensitivity?
- If tissue around the clitoris is reduced, it may improve access to the clitoris and sexual senstitivity. Keep in mind that surgical technique is critical for the tissues around the clitoral area to heal correctly.